Friday, February 26, 2010

Soup & Sandwiches

The best thing about cool weather is the cooking. I love soups and warm, cozy comfort food. Of course, I like warm weather better, but every cloud has it's silver lining.....

Spring is coming soon; I know it is true because the sun was still shinin' tonight at almost six. The days are getting longer and I'm reveling in each extra minute of sunshine.

Regardless, it is still cold out and I can still cook some cold weather food. So, I did. I'm making Shelly's Wild Rice Soup and Hawaiian Sandwiches. The soup recipe will follow, and the sandwich recipe may be found here.

Shelly's Wild Rice Soup

My sister sent this recipe from a friend of hers. It is easy and wonderfully good.

Prepare 1 box Zatarans Long Gran & Wild Rice as directed

Saute: 1 stick butter, 1 sweet onion, chopped, 3 carrots, 1/2 C celery. Add 1/2 lb mushrooms sliced thinly & 1 1/2 C Canadian bacon, chopped.

*I have used chicken and ham, as I don't keep Canadian Bacon on hand. They are great substitutes

Cook until soft & add 3/4 C flour to vegetables. Stir well. Wisk in 2 (26 oz) containers chicken stock. Add the cooked rice. Just before serving add 1 C half & half. Optional: chopped chives on top. It makes a large batch.

This soup is very filling and flavorful. Enjoy!

No comments: