Thursday, February 12, 2009

If You're Gonna Be a Bear.....

Be a Grizzly.

My family has told me that all my life. Usually, the philosophy pays off.

I'm in a rather unique position. I have a husband who is begging me to get a new washer and dryer....and mine still works. He just hates them. Really, I have a bit of a love-hate relationship with these appliances. I love anything that takes stinky icky things and makes them smell all fresh and clean. However, there are issues with the whole fresh and clean thing.

So, my poisition is unique because, a) my husband really wants me to make this purchase, and I've been saying no (I've been doing WHAT?) for over a year now.
b) mine isn't broken so I'm not in a complete panic begging the sales guy to let me take whichever floor model home just so we can have some clean towels!!!!!!!!

I kinda like it here.

Hubby is what our sweet babysitter used to call "ticky ticky". He is rather particular about his appearance. The whole unknown spot from the washer, worn place in the new pants completely grates on him. He knows I try very hard to do a good job on the laundry and doesn't blame me. He blames the washer with its many issues. This thing would need intense counseling if it could talk, it has so many issues. But, it hasn't completely collapsed, with its tongue hanging out and little x's for eyes just yet, so I haven't been able to justify the purchase. Plus, given my propensity to wear denim anything and a tshirt which probably has a bleach stain, I don't stress too much about it.

This week, for some reason, it hit me. It really bugs him. I can get a new washer. WHAT AM I WAITING FOR??????????????

Lest you think the dryer is just along for the ride, I'm sure it is repairable, but it has issues of its own, including a cycle that takes almost two hours when it used to be just over 30 minutes. The additional time makes it difficult to keep my laundry quota up. Laundry in this house averages 5 loads per day, 6 days per week....give or take.

So, anyone who knows me knows researching new appliances is a great time to be OCD. What is information overload for most people is just the tip of the iceberg when I'm making a purchase of this size. I've talked to service people, sales people, housekeepers, looked at an unknown number of websites, been in various small and large retailers, and although I'll always have some buyer's remorse, I'm thinking it is time. I had settled on a particular model in Whirlpool, but I had a small issue. One of the things that excited me is that I can get a w/d set in some rockin' color. The model with the features I desire comes in white and aspen green. Aspen green is beautiful, but it will clash horribly with the new lemongrass walls in my laundry room, courtesy of the sweet painter ladies. Then my friend took me to Sears (again). The Kenmore that is just like the Whirlpool I like comes in wonderful colors. After more research (that heart-stopping red only comes in a size that is .4 cu ft smaller...did you know that?), I have settled on this: (lights, angelic background music, drumroll)


Well, add a dryer and minus the pedestals. It was a Chevy Chase Christmas Tree moment, to be sure.

1 comment:

The Peterson family said...

that is so fun, AB!!!! i am glad you finally got one. i am waiting for ours to kick the bucket- it won't be long! :)