Sunday, January 10, 2010

Book Review: "Going Rogue"

I was thrilled to receiveGoing Rogue by Sarah Palin for Christmas. I had picked it up multiple times and each time decided to wait. It sat in my Amazon cart for weeks and I always bypassed it. All the waiting was in hopes of receiving it as a Christmas gift.

It was exactly what I expected. Perhaps more in some spots, a little less in others. I found myself relating to Palin on several levels. First of all, she is very close to my age. Her upbringing, although more rugged than mine, was similar. We both are blessed with a spirit of independence, not relying on others too much. I wonder if her mother ever called her "an independent little cuss?" I think the first half was my favorite part of the book, reading about her formative years, then raising a family, and the steps she has followed in the political process. One thing she has that I envy a little is an incredible self confidence.

The book was entertaining as a recap of her life, all the way through the election of 2008. In the post-election section the book became a bit wordy. It included a lot of her political positions, opinions on policy, and several defensive shots at both her political opponents and some of the McCain staffers. It seemed a tedious part of the book, but then, it reflected what was a tedious part of her life, in defending an endless array of ethics charges and slams from the press. Despite those facts, I found myself thinking the same points could have been made in a much more concise fashion.

I'm not sure my hubby loved me reading the book because of my continued insistence that we move to Alaska. Palin's love for her home comes through vividly. Of course, I would want to wait until spring to make such a move. It would be silly to go any sooner!

"Going Rogue" isn't for everyone. If you are simply looking for her take on political issues, go immediately to the back third of the book. But if you want a look inside the mind of this brilliant lady, pick it up and enjoy.

No comments: