Wednesday, December 10, 2008

The Cat in the Hat

I frequently refer to Nathan and Annie as "Thing 1 and Thing 2". This is because, well, if you knew them, you would see how appropriate it really is.

This morning, I would have had to refer to myself as "The Cat In the Hat". I'm not sure which one it was, I'm pretty sure it is "The Cat in the Hat Comes Back" where the cat finds himself fighting an ink spot, where once removed from one thing goes to another, etc....

Thus, my morning.

First of all, let me preface this by explaining that last night, while cutting sweet potatoes, I made the statement, "I hate cutting these things up! It is like cutting pumpkin!" About 10 seconds later, the knife and the sweet potato took on some sort of enchanted lives of their own, and sprang to life! The potato jumped two ways at once and the knife did a ballerina twirl...in my hand. So, the ensuing loss of blood and trauma led me to really not wanting to get my hand in water too much this morning. It seems to make it require pressure again.

Okay, so no water. No problem. I'll start my grocery list with pen and paper. Not since elementary school has a pen exploded in my hand like that. It was everywhere. It was even cool to spray hairspray (the well-known ink remover) on my hand and watch the dark blue liquid pool and then drip, drop into the sink. (Why the Cat didn't try hairspray is beyond me) Ink residue, I might say a lot of it, still resides on my hands, but a good portion also went into my white porcelain sink. Like I said, it was pretty fascinating and made me wonder about the chemical reactions taking place to make such a wondrous sight appear....until I tried to rinse out the sink. I was starting to really relate to the cat at this point.

My previously-white-now-blue sink is sitting, as I type, with slightly abrasive bleach filled cleaner on it, attempting to rid ourselves completely of the ink spot. I have new respect for the Cat and his cohorts, Things 1 and 2.

No comments: