Friday, January 2, 2009

About those Resolutions.....

I have a bit of a different take on resolutions. I think I was a bit indoctrinated on this way of thinking by my daddy. I have always been a bit of an extreme thinker/perfectionist. So, when I have a fresh slate, I keep it perfect as long as I can, but when it isn't perfect anymore, well, it's not worth keeping. Somehow, I suspect I'm not the only one thinking this way, because of all we hear about New Year's resolutions. Then, we hear how very few of them actually stick. So, once we blow the diet, the exercise plan, the plan to be thankful in all things, whatever it may be, we give up!

Seeing this quality in me, my daddy started early on explaining that every day is a day for resolutions. I saw it in him when he quit smoking....not on New Year's Day, but on a random day mid-year! And it wasn't the Great American Smoke Out, either! And he explained that a day when we mess up isn't a total failure, just a set back. He almost had an aversion to making any sort of resolution on Jan 1. The rebellious part of me causes me to be that way as well. Far be it from me to do ANYTHING like the mainstream.

So, when I finally decided to read the Bible through in a year, I succeeded. It took two years, but I didn't stop. I kept plugging through. I learned a lot. And you know what? It was okay that it took two years.

When everyone is making all these plans for glorious change on Jan 1, I'm content to make it a day I relax. Because I can make those resolutions Jan 2, Feb 20, June 18, October 7 or any other day of the year. Every day is a day to take stock and make changes to improve yourself.

So, the holidays are over. Yes, I need to drop a few unwanted pounds. Yes, I would feel better if I exercised. So, I will work those things into the schedule. But no matter what, Jan 1 is the one day of the year I will eat what I want and refuse to exercise...unless I just want to.

No comments: