Saturday, May 2, 2009

I'm Ready to Play

It is a typical May in this part of the country. Either we are freezing, checking windchill, and shivering in shorts, or we are enjoying a spectacular sunny day in which the grass grows at least three inches per hour. The last couple of days have definitely fallen into the former category.

Trav has pitched two games this week, doing very well at both. The first, unfortunately, doesn't count, because the Heavens opened and a downpour to rival Noah's ensued. Thankfully, this one was much shorter than Noah's. Not so happily, we lose our 8-1 lead because we hadn't completed enough innings for it to count.

Last night he pitched a complete game (despite sprinkles and winds straight from the Arctic) and we won. It was a really good game. His batting is on, his pitching is one, his teammates are really, really on, and the stars have all aligned.

So, despite the plummeting temperatures, a good baseball game is proof that spring is here and summer is coming very soon. It always brings to mind an old favorite song. For all the baseball fans out there:

Ready To Play (Put Me In Coach) by John Foggerty

Well, beat the drum and hold the phone - the sun came out today!
We're born again, there's new grass on the field.
A-roundin' third, and headed for home, it's a brown-eyed handsome man; (ahem. In case you didn't know, that is Travis)
Anyone can understand the way I feel.

CHORUS:
Oh, put me in, Coach - I'm ready to play today;
Put me in, Coach - I'm ready to play today;
Look at me, I can be Centerfield.

Well, I spent some time in the Mudville Nine, watchin' it from the bench;
You know I took some lumps when the Mighty Casey struck out.
So Say Hey Willie, tell Ty Cobb and Joe DiMaggio;
Don't say "it ain't so", you know the time is now.

CHORUS:
Oh, put me in, Coach - I'm ready to play today;
Put me in, Coach - I'm ready to play today;
Look at me, I can be Centerfield.

Yeah! I got it, I got it!

Got a beat-up glove, a homemade bat, and brand-new pair of shoes;
You know I think it's time to give this game a ride.
Just to hit the ball and touch 'em all - a moment in the sun;
(pop) It's gone and you can tell that one goodbye!

CHORUS:
Oh, put me in, Coach - I'm ready to play today;
Put me in, Coach - I'm ready to play today;
Look at me, I can be Centerfield. (x2)

Yeah!

No comments: