Thursday, June 25, 2009

Laundry Room of Horrors

Have you ever pondered the effect on a laundry room when two Things go to camp? Add to that the mom and Big Boy going to a baseball tournament, not to return until a few days after the Things return. I assure you, the sight, and smell, are not for the faint of heart.

It is enough to make Jack Bauer shrink in fear.

It is enough to make Gibbs head back to Mexico.

At such a sight and smell, the smoke monster will retreat, never to be seen again.

I would post pictures, but they would have to have a disclaimer, and I am no attorney.

The Things returned on Friday. Thing 2 must have forgotten those plastic bags for wet things shoved in the bottom of her duffel. So, wet swimsuits, towels, and I don't want to know what else, were evenly distributed throughout the bag, assuring everything in there would be subject to the wet....on Friday morning. By Tuesday afternoon, when said bag was discovered by mom, it was utterly nauseating. Having not been here on the Things return to quickly open the bags and get the stuff OUT (I know my Things, after all), it sat for an extra few days.

That smell has to be the same stuff that lurked in the car after Jerry (Seinfeld) had it parked by a valet. The smell that lingered in Elaine's hair, and despite efforts to rid herself of the scent, it wouldn't go.

I have discovered that there are no methods available to man that will dissipate the scent in anything less than three long, heavy duty washings. It involves a lot of oxy cleaner, soaking, and a high-temp sanitize wash.

Only a persistent, stubborn mom could prevail in such circumstances.

The laundry room is thanking me. I think it was starting to crumble, so defeating was its contents. I'm sure it felt hopeless. There is an end in sight. The floor has been discovered again, and I'm confident that with the team of Tide, OxyClean, Downey, bleach, and a rockin' new washer and dryer, we will prevail.

No comments: